Custom Software Pros and Cons
Because of the time and capital investment, building custom software isn’t right for everyone.
If you are considering a custom software application but are on the fence, this article is for you. We have listed below the typical custom software pros and cons to help you in your decision-making process.
Advantages of A Custom Software Application
- You can build exactly what you want and need.
- You have full control over the software.
- You can change the software as your business changes.
- You can start with a prototype and grow the software as your revenues grow.
- You can leverage open-source or paid platforms, tools, plugins, etc. to speed up development
- Your software will never be dropped or become unsupported.
- It can differentiate your business, giving you a competitive edge.
- You can license it to others and generate more revenue.
- There are no ongoing subscription or maintenance contracts.
Disadvantages Of A Custom Software Application
- Custom software can be more expensive than prepackaged software. It depends if your purchased software requires an implementation or not (think SAP).
- You will need to monitor and maintain your custom application. Some applications need little to no maintenance while others can need a lot. It depends on the complexity of the software and how well it was coded.
- Custom software takes weeks or months to build.
- Technologies change over time. You may have to rewrite your software if your technology becomes obsolete.
The best way to decide if custom software is right for you is to check the existing software products.
If you can find a software package that is cost effective, then that may be the best way to go. However, if you can’t, or if you want to differentiate your business, then custom software may be your best choice.
The Checklist For Sharing Your Software Vision
Before you get started in developing your software app, your thoughts and ideas should be clarified and written down so they can be consistently and easily shared and understood. To help you get started on the right foot, we have created a checklist.