Laboratory Information System
NetSoft is a leading Laboratory Information System (LIS) provider in the United States, specializing in custom software solutions for healthcare laboratories. Their flagship product, IntelliPath, stands out as a top-tier Anatomic Pathology Laboratory Information System. Used by labs nationwide, IntelliPath processes over 4 million specimens annually.
NetSoft’s IntelliPath, a legacy software with over two decades of use, was originally developed as a Windows Desktop client-server application, reflecting the common architecture of its time. However, the dated software was posing several challenges:
- Compatibility was limited to Windows PCs, excluding Mac users.
- Software updates, including enhancements and bug fixes, necessitated manual installation by each user.
- Clients had to procure and maintain their own hardware to host the database and additional services at each lab location.
- The outdated technology complicated maintenance and further development efforts.
They needed to redesign their dated legacy software to make accessible to users across different platforms and to host on the cloud.
SOLTECH collaborated with NetSoft to revamp their outdated IntelliPath application. The SOLTECH team undertook several key initiatives:
- They crafted wireframes for a user-friendly interface, suitable for both non-technical and technical users, incorporating design specifications for both the visual elements and non-visual aspects such as business logic and external system integrations.
- They proposed the optimal technology stack to support the application’s needs.
- They developed user stories to guide developers in constructing the application’s modules.
- They supplemented NetSoft’s workforce by assigning their own developers to the project, ensuring timely completion of the development tasks.
“Their developers are extremely professional and very conscientious about doing their work with excellence. We have been very pleased with the work SOLTECH has done for us and look forward to working with SOLTECH on other projects in the future.”
– Leanna Kinney, VP of Clinical Systems & Applications
The outcome was a modern cloud-based web solution hosted on Azure, accessible to users across different platforms, including both Windows and Mac. This web-based system enhances accessibility, allowing users to operate the system from home with increased flexibility.
Software updates, encompassing enhancements and bug fixes, can now be deployed swiftly, typically within an hour, significantly improving the user experience by minimizing the wait time for software improvements.
SOLTECH’s engagement with NetSoft also included providing staff augmentation to bolster NetSoft’s development capabilities.